KLATOVY AND SURROUNDS : RABÍ CASTLE

Czech • Deutsch • English

Rabí Castle

The Castle of Rabí is a dominant feature of the upper Otava region and is one of  the biggest and largest medieval castles in Bohemia. The original heart of the castle was built at the beginning of the 14th century as a watchtower to protect the trade path connecting Sušice and Horažďovice and its gold-panning fields. The House of Rýzmberk owned the castle, the town and the nearby villages from 1380 till 1549. After a short time of other owners, the House of Chanov, from Dlouhá Ves, bought the Rabi Castle in 1570. In 1708 the castle was bought by the House of Lamberk. After the fire of 1720 they chose Žichovice as their seat and the castle fell into disrepair.  In 1919, the castle was bought for the symbolic sum of one crown by the Society for the Preservation of Artistic and Historic Sights and Natural Beauties in Horažďovice and a partial restoration was carried out. Nowadays the castle is a national historical landmark.


| Back|