KLATOVY AND SURROUNDS : TOWN FORTIFICATION

Czech • Deutsch • English

Town fortification

The oldest part of today's town walls comes from early 14th century, however the first fortification was built as early as 1260, after the town foundation. In 15th century the fortification system was extended by the outer rampart with semicircular bastions and a water ditch.

In 19th century parts of the walls were pulled down not to limit the areal development of the town. Still today Klatovy has one of the best preserved medieval fortifications.

(c) Foto : ŠumavaNet.CZ
Text : Informační centrum Klatovy, www.klatovy.cz/icklatovy

| Back|